CS Department Research Laboratories
- The Computer Architecture and Systems Lab focuses in the area of high-performance computing, energy-efficient storage systems, parallel/distributed systems, and security-aware scheduling. In particular, we have been investigating efficient scheduling schemes and resource management strategies to support high performance applications running on dedicated and non-dedicated clusters, which consist of off-the-shelf hardware and software components.
- The Advanced Computing Environments Laboratory focuses on the development and integration of emerging Web and Internet technologies with high performance computing (HPC) infrastructure in order to support advances in computational science.
- The Laboratory for Bioinformatics, Medical Informatics and Cheminformatics focuses on research and education in the fields of Bioinformatics, Cheminformatics and Medical Informatics. Seventeen faculty members and researchers from five departments (Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics) participate in research and education in areas related to the foci of the center.
- The Edwards Bioinformatics Group is all about decoding life’s best kept secrets. These secrets are encoded, as you must have already guessed, in genomes of bacteria, archaea, eukaryotes and the viruses that infect them.
- The Intelligent Machines and Systems Laboratory is engaged in research and teaching in several areas of robotics and intelligent systems. These include applications to robots and systems using techniques such as fuzzy logic, genetics and evolutionary algorithms, machine intelligence, neural networks, intelligent multi-agent systems, and dynamic system and control.
- The Audio Processing Laboratory uses signal processing and machine learning to study sounds produced by animals. Our current focus is on learning to recognize the calls of wild dolphins and whales. Detection of these calls is useful for mitigation and monitoring efforts which examine the effect of human-induced sound on animals in the marine environment. Temporal and spatial analysis of these calls and other environmental variables is used to learn more about how these animals use their habitat. We work in collaboration with the Scripps Whale Acoustics Lab at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
- The Cyber Innovation Group at SDSU is dedicated to invention of new technologies in the broad telecommunication and networking areas. The current research effort is focused on designing new energy efficient wireless networking protocols to support Quality of Experience (QoE) for multimedia applications, developing cutting edge Internet of Things (IoTs) applications, and creating modern wearable body sensor systems for mobile healthcare.
- The 3D Game Programming Lab supports research in Service-Learning with Game Development. Students interested in the field of Serious Games can use the PCs, Xbox360s, and Xbox Kinect systems to design and implement 3D games that benefit disciplines outside of computer science.